If you think someone you know has experienced domestic abuse there are lots of ways in which you can help them. 
Taking time to understand what constitutes domestic abuse, or talking through what happened will help to make a decision on what your next steps could be. If you feel you can talk to them about what you have seen, they may be able to describe what has been happening and how it has made them feel. 

Think - are they safe right now?

If you or they are in immediate danger or seriously injured call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).
If you or they are on campus, you can call Security Services on 24/7 365 days a year on 01904 32 4444 or use the Safezone App.
If an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere you and they feel safe. 


  • Talk to them - If you feel able, talking things over can sometimes be a big help.
  • Listen - Stay calm, be empathetic and show your concern. Try to listen without judging or directing.
  • Give options - When they have finished talking ask them if they are okay to talk through some possible options and next steps. Allow the individual to stay in control of the conversation and of their decisions.
  • Domestic abuse is a crime of power and control - The most important thing is to respond in a way that maximises their choice and control over what happens next. You can simply ask them what they need or want. They might not make the same decision you would; however, only they can decide what is best for them.  You can help them explore options, but avoid telling them what they should do.
  • Make sure you look after yourself and if you need support ask for it.


IDAS (Independent Domestic Abuse Services) - IDAS is the largest specialist charity in Yorkshire supporting people affected by domestic abuse and sexual violence. They can do outreach support and help you access a refuge if needed.
Find out more about support options both within and outside of the University for dealing with domestic abuse. 


  • Reporting to the University - You can chose to report with your contact details or anonymously using the buttons below.
  • Reporting to the police - If they're thinking of reporting to the police, Victim Support has produced information on how this process may work, and what to expect. 
  • Reporting to Crime Stoppers anonymously - You can call crime stoppers at any point on 0800 555 111 or use the Crimestoppers online form.
  • Choosing not to report - It is up to them if they wish to report this to anyone. There are many reasons they may chose not to report. Whatever their reason for not reporting this should be respected. They can still access support both from the University and outside of the University. The support is free and will not pressure them to report the domestic abuse.

Go to


There are two ways you can tell us what happened