If you think you or someone you know has experienced physical or domestic violence there is a lot of support available at both the University of York and externally. Talking things through with someone you trust such as a friend, relative, or colleague can sometimes help.
If there is an immediate danger call 999 or if you are on campus then you can call Security 24/7 365 days a year to help aid the emergency services on +44 (0)1904 32 3333 or use the SafeZone app.

The Silent Solution

In danger and need the police but can’t speak?
  1. Dial 999
  2. Listen to the questions from the 999 operator
  3. Respond by coughing or tapping the handset if you can (make yourself heard in any way possible)
  4. Then, when prompted, press 55
By doing this, it lets the operator know that there’s a genuine emergency and you’ll be put through to the police immediately.

Support within the University  

  • College support - Speak to a member of your College team, such as administrator, tutor or manager for support. 
  • Student Hub - The first point of contact for areas relating to student support and advice. They will be able to point you in the right direction with regards to which service may be suitable to your needs. 
  • Open Door Team - If you are struggling and need specialist mental health support support. 

Support from the Student Unions

You can also get independent advice and support from the Student’s Unions, YUSU and the GSA.
YUSU’s Advice and Support Centre (for undergraduates) and the GSA Advice Service (for postgraduates) offer confidential, independent and non-judgemental advice on a range of wellbeing and academic issues. They are able to speak with you about your situation, and make you aware of the support services available to you within the University and more widely, as well as to make you aware of your options. They can also help you to decide if you would like to report an incident, and can assist you in completing the reporting form.
Find more information about the support available from YUSU’s Advice and Support Centre or GSA’s Advice Service.

Support outside of the University

  • IDAS (Independent Domestic Abuse Services) - IDAS is the largest specialist charity in Yorkshire supporting people affected by domestic abuse and sexual violence. They can do outreach support and help you access a refuge if needed.
  • The Women’s Wellness Centre - The Women’s Wellness Centre (WWC) is a community venue that provides holistic support to all self-identifying women. There is a timetable of various groups, drop-ins and activities such as art and baking. One-to-one key work is also available, which aims to support you to meet your needs and goals. Overall, the WWC is a place where women can gather together to seek support, develop peer networks, and enjoy time in a safe, non-judgemental, women-only space. To find out more about this service contact; amy.bullard@changing-lives.org.uk or call 01904 526529.
  • Refuge - A national charity providing support for women and children fleeing domestic violence, including a 24 hour helpline.
  • Women's Aid - A grassroots federation providing support and advice for women and children who are experiencing domestic abuse. 
  • Men's Aid - A national charity providing support for people of any gender who are experiencing domestic abuse.
  • GALOP - Charity offering support and advice for LGBT+ people who have are experiencing domestic abuse.
  • Kyra - Charity based in York that offers a range of courses, therapies and events to help support vulnerable women. 
  • Bridge House SARC (Sexual Assault Referral Centre) - Offers support and guidance, a medical assessment/treatment, a forensic examination, and the opportunity for aftercare referrals into support services. You will be offered these services based on your individual needs, and can choose to use as much or as little of the service as you wish. 
  • YorSexual Health - NHS service who offer confidential, free and friendly sexual health and contraception services across York and North Yorkshire that are available to everyone
  • MESMAC - Charity who offer sexual health services, STI testing, counselling and outreach services to various communities across Yorkshire, including men who have sex with men, African and other BAME people, drug users, sex workers and LGBT+ young people and adults. 
  • Citizens Advice (Domestic Abuse) - For information on domestic abuse and the law. 
  • SamaritansYou can call for free on 116 123 for non-judgemental emotional support 24/7, regardless of what you’re going through. You can also email them at jo@samaritans.org. York Samaritans offer a York drop-in service on Nunnery Lane. A campus drop-in is available during term time on Mondays (LFA/130) and Wednesdays (GNU/001) between 6pm and 8pm.
  • IAPT (Independent Assessment and Psychological Treatment) - The York and Selby improving access to psychological therapies (IAPT) service offer psychological treatments for stress, anxiety and depression to anyone under the care of a GP in the Vale of York area.
  • The Haven @ 33 Clarence Street - Offers out of hours mental health support to anyone aged 16 or over in York and Selby.
  • York Mind - A Mental Health Charity offering a range of services including information, activities, groups, and one-to-one counselling in York focussed on helping you in recovery.
  • Big White Wall - An anonymous 24/7 online global community with support from trained professionals which you can log onto using your university email address.

Go to


There are two ways you can tell us what happened