Wellbeing Support

Experiencing and reporting misconduct can be stressful. and sometimes you may want support that is not linked to the University.  There are a wide range of support services outside the University that you may wish to access if you need to talk to someone, or if you find that your experience has affected your mental health.

Your doctor -
Your doctor can diagnose your mental health needs and offer guidance and medical treatment. Mental illnesses often have physical causes and symptoms. Your doctor may prescribe medication but they can also help you access talking therapies and psychological treatment.

Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) - York & Selby IAPT offer evidence-based psychological treatments for stress, anxiety difficulties and depression. IAPT is not a crisis or urgent response service.
They offer appointments on campus and you do not need a referral from a GP, though you must be registered with a GP in York or Selby. Telephone +44 (0)1904 556840.
IAPT also has an online service, SilverCloud Online CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy). If you would like to access this free service, which can be prescribed instead of or before any other treatment options, please contact IAPT on 01904 294841 or email iaptyorkselby.lypft@nhs.net

Samaritans - Samaritans are available for anyone who is going through a difficult time. Whatever you’re facing, they’re here to listen, and if you’ve lots on your mind, they will help you find your own way through it.
Samaritans are available by telephone, free of charge at any time, day or night on 116 123.

SHOUT - Shout is a 24/7 free text service for support in a crisis. Text 85258 (it's free on all major mobile networks).

CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably) - The Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) is especially aimed at males who may be experiencing isolation and low mood. Contact them between 5pm and midnight on 0800 58 58 58 or use the chat service.

The Haven @ 30 Clarence Street (out of hours service) - The Haven @ 30 Clarence Street provides a warm and welcoming space to access support and relieve emotional distress. It's open every night between 6pm and 11pm. No appointment is needed, just turn up or phone 07483 141 310.

Mental Health and Wellbeing in York - The Mental Health and Wellbeing in York directory provides a comprehensive list of external resources for support, advice and information on mental wellbeing available in York.

Support for Employment Issues

- the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service, gives employees and employers free, impartial advice on workplace rights, rules and best practice. ACAS offer training and help to resolve disputes, and provide guidance on a range of employment topics, including discrimination, bullying and harassment.  

Citizens Advice - offers a wide range of guidance and advice on workplace issues, including bullying and harassment, equality, and discrimination.  

TUC - the Trades Union Congress offers a wide range of workplace guidance, including bullying and harassment, equality and discrimination, gender and women’s rights, and many other topics.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened