It may help to understand what constitutes domestic abuse before you decide what to do. Whether this is behaviour by another student or not, the University can support you to report this to the appropriate authorities if you choose. No one should have to accept violence or control in their lives and you are not to blame for what is happening to you.

Think - are you safe right now?

If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).
If you are on campus, you can call Campus Safety on 24/7 365 days a year on 01904 32 4444 or use the Safezone App.
If an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere you feel safe. 

The Silent Solution

In danger and need the police but can’t speak?
  1. Dial 999
  2. Listen to the questions from the 999 operator
  3. Respond by coughing or tapping the handset if you can (make yourself heard in any way possible)
  4. Then, when prompted, press 55
By doing this, it lets the operator know that there’s a genuine emergency and you’ll be put through to the police immediately.


Talk to a friend - Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help. 
IDAS (Independent Domestic Abuse Services) - IDAS is the largest specialist charity in Yorkshire supporting people affected by domestic abuse and sexual violence. They can do outreach support and help you access a refuge if needed.

Find out more about other support options relevant to Domestic Abuse.


  • Reporting to the University - You can chose to report with your contact details or anonymously using the buttons below. 
  • Reporting to the police - If you're thinking of reporting to the police, Victim Support has produced information on how this process may work, and what to expect. 
  • Reporting to Crime Stoppers anonymously -  You can call crime stoppers at any point on 0800 555 111 or use the Crimestoppers online form.
  • Choosing not to report - It is up to you if you wish to report this to anyone. There are many reasons you may chose not to report. Whatever your reason for not reporting this will be respected. If so, you can still access support both from the University and outside of the University. The support is free and will not pressure you to report the domestic abuse.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened