The University of York is committed to preventing, responding to, and investigating incidents of sexual violence. It may help to understand what constitutes sexual violence before you decide what to do.
There is help available if you have experienced sexual harassment, assault or violence. No matter where you were or what you were doing, wearing or saying, whether you were drunk or under the influence of drugs – you are not to blame.

Think - are you safe right now?

If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).
If you are on campus, you can call Security Services on 24/7 365 days a year on 01904 32 4444 or use the Safezone App.
If an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere you feel safe. 
If there is no immediate threat, the most important thing is to talk to someone you trust. This could be a friend, family member, college tutor, Security or anyone else you feel comfortable sharing with.

Support - deciding what to do next

Our Sexual Violence Liaison Officers (SVLOs) can work with you one-to-one to talk you through your support options and reporting options, both within the University and externally. They will support you through whatever choices are right for you. You can access support from an SVLO whether something has happened recently or some time ago. Support is confidential and you will not be pressured into taking any particular course of action. Complete this form to contact the SVLOs.
Outside office hours - Call Campus Safety and they'll contact a trained staff member: 01904 32 3333 (or 3333 from a University extension) or use the SafeZone app. Or you can call Nightline between 8pm and 8am during term time.
Bridge House SARC (Sexual Assault Referral Centre) offer  support and guidance, a medical assessment/treatment, a forensic examination, and the opportunity for aftercare referrals into support services. You will be offered these services based on your individual needs, and can choose to use as much or as little of the service as you wish.
Find out more about support options both within and outside of the University for dealing with Sexual Violence and various ways of helping and deciding what to do next. 


  • Reporting to the University - Talking to a member of University staff (disclosing sexual violence) is not the same thing as making a formal report. You can chose to report with your contact details or anonymously using the buttons below and we can talk about what you would like to happen next. 
  • Reporting to the police - North Yorkshire Police treat all reports of rape and sexual assault seriously. Victims will be treated with dignity and respect throughout the process. Visit the North Yorkshire Police rape and sexual assault web page for more information. Your SVLO will be able to provide more information about this process and signpost towards specialist agencies who can support you through it.
  • Reporting to the police anonymously - Our SVLOs can arrange for you to pass on anonymous intelligence to North Yorkshire Police. This will not be treated as a formal report so the perpetrator will not be arrested and the incident(s) will not be investigated. Your details will not be passed to the police and they will not make contact with you. Instead, they will input the perpetrator’s information onto the national police database so that they can stay informed of what types of sexual offences are being committed and where.
  • Reporting to Crime Stoppers anonymously -  You can call crime stoppers at any point on 0800 555 111 or use the Crimestoppers online form.
  • Choosing not to report - It is up to you if you wish to report this to anyone. There are many reasons you may chose not to report. Whatever your reason for not reporting this will be respected. If so, you can still access support both from the University and outside of the University. The support is free and will not pressure you to report the sexual violence.
  • Reporting sexual violence from weeks, months or years ago - Often attending University gives you space to reflect on past experiences and the safety to report assault or abuse for the first time. The services outlined are relevant no matter when the assault or abuse took place. All disclosures will be treated seriously.
You can get information and support on all of the above options from the University’s SVLOs, but it is important to remember that it is your choice with how you wish to report (or not report, as that is also a legitimate option). 

There are two ways you can tell us what happened