The University of York has a duty of care to all its students and is keen to support any student who has been accused of misconduct without prejudice. The allegation could be made informally to you by another student or you could be officially notified by either the University or the police. People react and deal with accusations of misconduct in different ways and we appreciate that any allegations of inappropriate behaviour can have a distressing impact on you.

Steps to take if  you have been accused of misconduct

  • Firstly, remain calm. It is important to react appropriately, regardless of the foundation of the allegation, and let due process take its course.
  • Secondly, share the circumstances with someone you trust. While this is never easy, it is important you do not try to deal with it by yourself. Consider sharing with a trusted friend, a family member, or a member of staff you trust within the University. 
  • Seek support through your College Team, they will be able to offer you support throughout the whole process. The Open Door Team can provide specialist mental health support if you feel the need. You can also read more about support for your mental wellbeing.
  • Seek advice through the Student Hub, the first point of contact for areas relating to student support and advice. They will be able to signpost you to services suitable to your needs. 
YUSU’s Advice and Support Centre (for undergraduates) or the GSA Advice Service (for postgraduates) can provide free, independent and confidential advice and support to you. They will treat you with respect and sensitivity. The Advisors can support you through the process. This can include explaining the process and procedures, and accompanying you to any meetings. 

If you have been contacted by the police, you may also wish to seek legal advice from an independent source.

Under the University's Regulation 7.7.4 and 7.7.5, you have a duty to notify the University if you are subject to bail conditions, if you are charged with a relevant criminal offence, or if you convicted of a relevant criminal offence. You should do this by contacting the Conduct and Respect team on

There are two ways you can tell us what happened