Report and Support 

If you submit a report through Report and Support, you can do that in two ways, with your contact details, or anonymously.  If you report with contact details, an HR Advisor or Partner will contact you to discuss options - you will not commit yourself to any course of action by submitting a report, and no action will normally be taken without your agreement.  If you report anonymously, it will not be possible to identify you, or contact you to offer direct support, and it will not normally be possible to initiate an investigation or formal process on the basis of an anonymous report. However, action may be taken without consent in some circumstances, for example, if it is necessary for your safety or people’s safety, or if the Duty of Care Guidance applies.

Line Manager

Line managers have responsibility for ensuring that complaints are resolved. See the Support for Staff web pages.

HR Partner/Advisor 

Each department is supported by an HR Partner and an HR Advisor. They provide specialist support and advice on all HR issues for managers and staff.

Occupational Health

Occupational Health can support staff with any mental or physical health problems that may affect them at work, and can signpost to other sources of support. You can arrange a confidential appointment with them to discuss options available.


See the staff support, health, and wellbeing pages for information on a range of support services for staff at the University of York and beyond.

Mental Health Contacts

Mental Health First Contact Network - a network of trained staff who are a first point of contact if you are experiencing emotional or psychological distress.


A colleague can support you if you're raising a complaint.  See the Support for Staff web pages.

Trade Union Representative

You can seek support from your Trade Union. If you are not a member of a Trade Union, you could seek advice and guidance from ACAS, the TUC, or Citizen’s Advice (see Support Outside the University).

Employee Assistance Programme 

Health Assured -  Health Assured offers you independent, free and completely confidential telephone support, online resources and, where appropriate, face-to-face or telephone counselling.  Counsellors are available to talk through any problem, no matter how big or small, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Dignity Contacts 

Dignity Contacts are trained staff volunteers whose role is to listen to the experiences of reporting students or staff, and provide advice and guidance on the Dignity at Work and Study Policy and procedures, including information on how to navigate informal and formal reporting procedures and access support.


University Mediation service - this service, available to all staff, is an informal, confidential way of resolving differences within the workplace. Information about the service can be found by following the link, or for more details you can contact  

Staff Equality Networks 

The University's Staff Equality Networks provide opportunities for peer support and development, and to take part in promoting progress and good practice in relation to equality, diversity and inclusion.

Campus Safety

If you feel unsafe whilst on campus or you are worried about someone else's safety, you can call Campus Safety 24 hours a day every day of the year. For an emergency, ring freephone 0800 43 3333. For non-emergencies call 01904 32 4444. Alternatively, you can use the Safezone App to access assistance.

Domestic Violence

See the University’s Domestic Violence web page for information on support for staff who experience domestic abuse, and for managers to help them support staff who are experiencing domestic abuse.

Harassment, Bullying and Hate incident reporting

University of York guidance on how to make reports of harassment, bullying and hate incidents against staff explains the range of informal and formal routes staff can take to raise concerns. In addition, staff also have the option of reporting via Report and Support.

Equality and Diversity

the University also has a policy on Equality and Diversity in Employment which outlines Protected Characteristics and how staff can raise concerns.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened