If you think you or someone you know has experienced a hate crime, there are a variety of support options available to both students and staff. Talking things through with someone you trust such as a friend, relative, or colleague can sometimes help.
If there is an immediate danger call 999 or if you are on campus then you can call Security 24/7 365 days a year to help aid the emergency services on +44 (0)1904 32 3333 or use the SafeZone app.

Support within the University for Students

  • Student Hub - The first point of contact for areas relating to student support and advice. They will be able to point you in the right direction with regards to which service may be suitable to your needs. 
  • College support - Speak to a member of your College team, such as administrator, tutor or manager for support. 
  • Open Door Team - If you are struggling and need specialist mental health support support. 

Support within the University for Staff

  • Line Manager - Line managers have responsibility for ensuring that complaints are resolved. See the Support for Staff web pages.
  • HR Partner/Advisor - Each department is supported by an HR Partner and an HR Advisor. They provide specialist support and advice on all HR issues for managers and staff.
  • Employee Assistance Programme - Health Assured -  Health Assured offers you independent, free and completely confidential telephone support, online resources and, where appropriate, face-to-face or telephone counselling.  Counsellors are available to talk through any problem, no matter how big or small, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
  • Harassment, Bullying and Hate incident reporting - University of York guidance on how to make reports of harassment, bullying and hate incidents against staff explains the range of informal and formal routes staff can take to raise concerns.  In addition, staff also have the option of reporting via Report and Support.

Support from Your Unions

As a student you can also get independent advice and support from the Student’s Unions, YUSU and the GSA.
YUSU’s Advice and Support Centre (for undergraduates) and the GSA Advice Service (for postgraduates) offer confidential, independent and non-judgemental advice on a range of wellbeing and academic issues. They are able to speak with you about your situation, and make you aware of the support services available to you within the University and more widely, as well as to make you aware of your options. They can also help you to decide if you would like to report an incident, and can assist you in completing the reporting form.
Find more information about the support available from YUSU’s Advice and Support Centre or GSA’s Advice Service.

As a member of staff you can also get independent advice from your union.
You can seek support from your Trade Union. If you are not a member of a Trade Union, you could seek advice and guidance from ACAS, the TUC, or Citizen’s Advice.

Support outside of the University

  • SamaritansYou can call for free on 116 123 for non-judgemental emotional support 24/7, regardless of what you’re going through. You can also email them at jo@samaritans.org. York Samaritans offer a York drop-in service on Nunnery Lane. A campus drop-in is available during term time on Mondays (LFA/130) and Wednesdays (GNU/001) between 6pm and 8pm.
  • Citizens Advice (Hate Crime) - For information on Hate Incidents and Hate Crime.
  • Switchboard - A charity providing an LGBT+ helpline via phone, online chat, or email to get emotional support. 
  • GALOP - Charity offering support and advice for LGBT+ people who have are experiencing hate crime.
  •  SupportLine - A charity providing information and emotional support by phone and email for high risk and more vulnerable or isolated groups in society. 
  • Kyra - Charity based in York that offers a range of courses, therapies and events to help support vulnerable women. 
  • IAPT (Independent Assessment and Psychological Treatment). The York and Selby improving access to psychological therapies (IAPT) service offer psychological treatments for stress, anxiety and depression to anyone under the care of a GP in the Vale of York area.
  • The Haven @ 33 Clarence Street - Offers out of hours mental health support to anyone aged 16 or over in York and Selby.
  • York Mind - A Mental Health Charity offering a range of services including information, activities, groups, and one-to-one counselling in York focussed on helping you in recovery.
  • TalkCampus - an online mental health peer support network just for students, accessed via an app or web platform. It offers instant, ongoing global support at any time of the day or night, wherever students are in the world, supporting over 26 languages.  It is available to all students,  who register using their university email address.

Go to


There are two ways you can tell us what happened